[OSM-dev] iD update - building a JavaScript editor for OSM

Fri Oct 19 16:58:53 GMT 2012

Hi all,

At State of the Map US I gave a talk on OSM editors and subsequently
spent a lot of time chewing the fat with the MapBox guys about the future.

The full talk is at http://www.systemeD.net/blog/index.php?post=24 but
to save you the full tl;dr experience - pretty clearly Flash is on the
way out in the browser, and we need to have a JavaScript-based solution
available. This also gives the opportunity to rework the UI, rather than
doing a straight-across port, now that OSM has an ever-increasing
profile and the chance to appeal to less technically minded contributors.

So, a couple of months ago I started on a JavaScript port of the
Potlatch 2 internals, called iD. Happily, this coincides with MapBox
winning the Knight Foundation grant to work on tools and projects around
OSM; it seemed sensible to talk. (Probably less sensible for me to have
quite so much American cider while doing so. Yeeouch, that stuff is strong.)

We're therefore planning to:

- build the core as a pure-JavaScript OSM-editing library, effectively
reusing the internals of P2, so it can be a common base for future
targeted editors;

- and to build iD as the first editor on top of that, aiming for ease of
use but (like P2) the ability to work with any OSM data that exists.

We think we can get an alpha version of the editor ready by the end of
the year - a real working editor but without bells and whistles. (We're
sketching a list at https://github.com/systemed/iD/wiki/Alpha-1 .)

So - come and join in. The code and issues are at
https://github.com/systemed/iD . It's in a state of flux right now;
expect it to change rapidly as issues get nailed down.

We'll be talking every Monday on IRC: #osm-dev (on irc.oftc.net as
usual), 5pm UTC, beginning on Oct 22nd. Or you can ping me (RichardF) or
Tom MacWright (tmcw) any time we're around.

Really looking forward to the first created_by=iD in the database. Come
and make it happen. :)

cheers
Richard