[OSM-dev] Notes - OSM improvements BoF at SOTM PDX

Dane Springmeyer dane at dbsgeo.com
Sun Oct 21 23:15:04 BST 2012

On Oct 18, 2012, at 5:05 PM, Kai Krueger wrote:

> Dane Springmeyer wrote
>>> I believe I'm right in saying that he doesn't have a working test setup
>>> at the moment since we moved to mapnik 2 and we need to sort that out but
>>> equally moving to git may be an issue because I believe Windows support
>>> in git is a bit patchy.
>>
>> Yes, this is my understanding as well. It is on my task list to get a
>> Windows build (with python bindings - that is the missing piece right now)
>> going of Mapnik 2.1 for Steve. Many other people have been asking for
>> this. RE: Git: I've found git support (via msysgit installer) on Windows
>> quite solid, so would be happy to help with that as well if it becomes an
>> issue.
>
> I am not sure if this is essential for getting the rendering stack back up
> and running on windows, but afaik the most recent version of osm2pgsql on
> windows is from early 2010. It would be good if we could get a newer build
> of osm2pgsql for windows.

Yes, definitely.

> If anyone has a development tool chain up and running for windows, could
> they give compiling osm2pgsql a try and report where things break?

I do, and I tried a few months back. There were lots of problems, too many to list here. I should write them up and get your feedback and mistakes I may have made in trying to the port.

> Which
> dependencies are or are not available for windows?

Everything is available. I found that dependencies were not a problem. The blocker was the osm2pgsql code. My first and only attempt was to compile with msvc which meant that c99 features are not supported and osm2pgsql depends pretty heavily on c99.