[OSM-dev] New proposed directory layout for planet.openstreetmap.org

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Wed Sep 5 20:57:13 BST 2012

Agreed, but most of what you would want to do with grep is possible
with other tools like osmosis, osmconvert and osmfilter that work much
faster on pbf and o5m files.
Also, how much is a 500GB (or however big it is unpacked) human
readable file really worth?

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 1:50 PM, yvecai <yvecai at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/05/2012 06:13 PM, Martijn van Exel wrote:
>>
>> Lastly, from my narrow POV, we could do away with the XML full planet
>> altogether. For smaller regions it makes sense, but if you want to
>> process that much data you should not be looking at XML anyway.
>
> XML is still human-readable, or at least grep-readable with such big files.
> Yves

martijn van exel
http://oegeo.wordpress.com