[OSM-dev] Switch osm2pgsql to 64 bit mode

Michael Bemmerl osm-talk at mx-server.de
Sun Sep 16 01:57:49 BST 2012

Kai Krueger schrieb:

> The current highest node ID is 1.9 billion. As signed 32 bit ints can
> only hold ~2.1 billion IDs, it is likely that the (signed) 32bit ID
> space will run out in a couple of months.

I did some calculations on this topic:

Based on the highest node ID of the last 30 days and a prediction using
a linear regression model, the node with the "magic" ID 2^31 will be
created on February 6, 2013.
Last 90 days as data set: March 5, 2013.
Beginning of redaction period (April 2012) as data set: March 24, 2013.

But don't worry, we'll have plenty of time until the relation ID will
require 64 bit signed integers. R calculated this to be in the year
5233. ;-)

Regards,
Michael