[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql and mod_tile have moved to git

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 15:10:52 UTC 2013

Hello everyone,

as many people seem to prefer using git over svn, we have decided to
convert the master repository of osm2pgsql and mod_tile over to git.

Therefore, from now on the svn is no longer the "upstream" repository.

Instead these will be

https://github.com/openstreetmap/osm2pgsql
https://github.com/openstreetmap/mod_tile/

Previously anyone who had an osm-svn account had commit access to the
repositories and could submit patches directly to the master repository,
and indeed people did take advantage of this (were forced to take
advantage of this). After the move to git, this will no longer be the
case. For the moment it is pretty limited who has push rights to the
repository (Jon and myself for mod_tile, and Sahra, Brian and myself for
osm2pgsql), but that is something that can be discussed and changed.
Personally I am in favour of a fairly open policy and would be happy to
see others have push rights as well.

With that change I guess the bug tracking will also likely mainly move
over to the github issue trackers, although track tickets on
trac.openstreetmap.org now also get forwarded to the tile-serving
mailing list. Therefore they should be noticed and dealt with as well,
if you prefer to use trac.

As the new repositories live in the same location as previously the svn
mirrors you will need to re-check out those repositories, as the history
has been re-written to be a cleaner SVN conversion than the mirrors
previously were. I hope that doesn't cause any trouble or inconvenience
for people who have local forks of the previous mirror.

Any comments or suggestions on the development process of these two
projects are welcome,

Kai