[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql: support for local route names

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 19:47:38 UTC 2013

RainerU-2 wrote
> Hello,
>
> For map rendering I needed the local names of route relations such as
> name:de,
> name:fr. As osm2pgsql does only copy the name tag from the relation to the
> related ways, I modified the program to copy all the name:xx tags to
> route_name:xx on the ways.

Perhaps I don't quite understand what you need, but does osm2pgsql not
already do this?

As an example I looked at relation 8497 (
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/8497 ) which is a bicycle route
through Liechtenstein and has internationalised names.

It has the following tags:

<tag k="name" v="ncn 2 - Rhein-Route (Andermatt–Basel)"/>
<tag k="name:de" v="ncn 2 - Rhein-Route (Andermatt–Basel)"/>
<tag k="name:fr" v="ncn 2 - Route du Rhin (Andermatt–Basel)"/>
<tag k="network" v="ncn"/>
<tag k="operator" v="Veloland Schweiz"/>
<tag k="ref" v="2"/>
<tag k="route" v="bicycle"/>
<tag k="type" v="route"/>

In the osm2pgsql database with hstore enabled, there is an entry for this
relation in the planet_osm_line table, this has the following hstore value
for tags:

"ncn"=>"yes", "ref"=>"2", "route"=>"bicycle", "name:de"=>"ncn 2 -
Rhein-Route (Andermatt–Basel)", "name:fr"=>"ncn 2 - Route du Rhin
(Andermatt–Basel)", "ncn_ref"=>"2", "network"=>"ncn", "operator"=>"Veloland
Schwe
iz", "route_name"=>"ncn 2 - Rhein-Route (Andermatt–Basel)",
"route_pref_color"=>"0"

So name:de and name:fr are already available in the standard osm2pgsql db.
Also all other tags of the route relation are in the db. Why osm2pgsql
translates the name tag into route_name, I don't know. Also I wonder why
there is so much special casing of various ncn, rcn, lcn cycle relations?

What do you gain with your patch? Can you give an example of how you want to
use the data?

Kai