[OSM-dev] Improvement to openstreetmap.org for mobile devices

Saman Bemel-Benrud saman at mapbox.com
Tue Aug 6 22:34:18 UTC 2013

Hi Mark,

Thanks for taking interest in the OpenStreetMap mobile experience. I've
recently been working with John Firebaugh <https://github.com/jfirebaugh> and
others on improving the design of osm.org. Making the mobile experiecne
better is one of the tasks we plan to take on soon.

The best way forward is to adapt a responsive web design approach.
Implementation-wise, that means using as much of the same code and markup
that the desktop site uses as possible, and then adjusting styles based on
break points with CSS media queries. Now that table-based layouts have been
removed completely from osm.org, we'll be able to establish a responsive
grid across osm.org that transitions nicely from desktop to tablet to
mobile.

Beyond just "using media queries and a responsive grid", we need to address
two problems:

1. The mobile use case differs from the desktop use case. Mobile users tend
to be more focused on quickly consuming content rather than creating.
2. There are certain technical limitations that come with mobile/touch
devices (for example, no web-based editors currently work on mobile, so the
'edit' tab should either be remove or adjusted to link to apps that *do* work
on mobile devices).

I believe we'll be able to solve both these problems with a straightforward
responsive web design approach.

Delivering a different site with a different codebase to mobile users would
make maintenance and progress difficult. The most helpful thing you can do
right now is make specific issues about how the current mobile experience
falls short on the github issue tracker, and if you've got the technical
know-how, to start fixing things and submitting pull requests:
https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues?direction=desc&sort=updated&state=open