[OSM-dev] The new link on the OSM map

Tom MacWright tom at macwright.org
Thu Aug 8 12:49:27 UTC 2013

Is it really a terrible weight to update JOSM to recognize the new format?
Given that JOSM is on version 6,115 and this is essentially a 'changing a
regex' type situation.

Can we stop calling any feature that changes the behavior of the site "a
major step backwards"? Yes, things are different and possibly some use case
you had is different or harder, but realize on the other side this is (1)
generally a beneficial change and (2) the result of a volunteer already
slogging through tens or hundreds of comments on a GitHub queue and finally
getting it through. And, finally, it's merged... and the first thing we
hear is negative criticism about a corner case that says "you did a bad
thing entirely". This is why nobody wants to code on openstreetmap-website.