[OSM-dev] Upcoming potential website features

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Mon Aug 19 07:23:23 UTC 2013

I'm trying something new to get more visibility to upcoming potential
website changes, as well as recent website changes. I won't include the
introductory material next time, but it's worth explaining what I'm
doing this time. The purpose is both to get a wider audience for the
discussion of changes and to inform people what's going on.

For more information about this message and the criteria, see the github
repo https://github.com/osmlab/openstreetmap-upcoming-features

My criteria for inclusion are

* User facing: I won't generally include changes that aren't visible on
osm.org

* Changes in functionality: I won't count changes that are purely bug
fixes or changes that aren't apparent to the user

* Noticeable: There are lots of minor changes to the website to fix
minor issues. Many of these are immediately merged.

* Would benefit from comments: I only include changes that stand a
reasonable chance of being merged in the near future, or changes that
would benefit from a wider audience

Feedback on these criteria is welcome, but I have no intention of
posting every little website change to the list. If you want that,
follow the issue trackers.

Most changes are in the openstreetmap-website project at
https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website although I will
include other projects if I'm aware of interesting changes.

== Changes ==

If you have comments on these changes, the best place is on the
appropriate github page for the change, which I try to link.

=== Make iD default editor ===
https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/453

Makes iD the editor that opens up by default when users click Edit

=== Convert user navigation to a dropdown menu ===
https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/447

Turns the links in the top-right into a drop-down menu.

Deployed at http://user.apis.dev.openstreetmap.org/

=== Add a help jumping-off page ===
https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/456

Adds a new help tab to the top, with links on that tab replacing the
current Documentation and Help Center. Add new links to other resources.

=== Rationalize multiple "locate me" type functions ===
https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/373

Discussion about confusion and duplication between "Where am I?", home
and the new geolocation button. Suggestions of removal of "Where am I?"

== Significant merges ==

Add attribution control #423

Add welcome page #338