[OSM-dev] Introducing PGMapCSS 0.2.0

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at latuviitta.fi
Fri Aug 23 08:52:02 UTC 2013

Stephan Bösch-Plepelits wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 03, 2013 at 11:34:15AM +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>> AFAIK MapServer supports [using expressions for Symbolizer options].
>> Tiling can then be done either via the standard MapServer toolchain, or
>> MapProxy, or even continuing with mod_tile and using Tirex's "mapserver"
>> backend.
> I looked into the documentation of MapServer (and GeoServer), and I think
> it won't work with PGMapCSS. I documented my findings in
> https://github.com/plepe/pgmapcss/blob/master/doc/compatibility.creole

> Maybe it would help if someone with more knowledge on MapServer (or
> GeoServer or other software) would try it and report his/her experiences.

Hi,

I server mostly aerial images with Mapserver and I know just a bit about
styling. However, I believe you should read these docs

http://mapserver.org/mapfile/layer.html
http://mapserver.org/mapfile/class.html
http://www.mapserver.org/mapfile/style.html

For Mapserver there is not difference where the data comes from so the
postgis doc http://mapserver.org/input/vector/postgis.html is not very
relevant.

You can have several classes in a mapfile and classes can contain several
styles. Layers, classes, and styles can all have scale denominators.
Example showing many classes and styles per one database query
http://latuviitta.org/tyylikirjasto/pg_roadsclose_10k_i.map
This mapfile renders OSM highway layer.

Geoserver supports using SQL queries for selecting data nowadays
http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/data/database/sqlview.html
The name "sqlview" is misleading.

Geoserver implements the SLD standard and filter capabilities can be read
from http://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=1188
Geoserves also has a brand new CSS community module for styling
http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/community/css/index.html
CSS

Regards,

-Jukka Rahkonen-