[OSM-dev] Default map style on osm.org

Peter K peathal at yahoo.de
Wed Aug 28 11:02:30 UTC 2013

Hi there,

I know that this is highly subjective: But why has the default map style
to be that ugly? I don't mean it as a rant, I know how difficult it is
to create something like this. I only say that it is 'ugly' because I
know there are a lot better and several alternatives.

What do I mean with 'ugly'? I mean, besides the ugly bing-magenta for
country lines and some texts the style is very confusing - too many
unimportant information are packed on especially the higher zoom levels
(smaller than 12). Or the contrast to see main roads is just too low.
Not sure.

So, why is not something better used like the style from
openstreetmap.de <http://openstreetmap.de/karte.html>, mapquest open or
cloudmade? I know I can change that easily in 'Map Layers' - but why is
this the default? Or at least: will this default style be further
developed and improved?

It is especially bad for people new to OSM which almost always think: uh
this map from OSM is ugly. I keep using goo...

Kind Regards,
Peter.