[OSM-dev] Default map style on osm.org

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Aug 28 16:34:55 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 08/28/2013 05:05 PM, Peter K wrote:
>> We're trying to keep the default map usable but at the same time it is
> also used by mappers to get feedback on their edits;
>
> Ok, that is an argument. But I expect mappers to be able to switch the
> layer in their settings in comparison to an average 'luser'.

Well in addition to wanting to see their own edits, mappers are also
proud of their work and want others to see it. Therefore removing
anything from the limelight that is openstreetmap.org and stowing it
into an expert-only layer, however sensible from a cartographic
standpoint, is always going to meet resistance - and re-open the old
question of whom the openstreetmap.org map is for.

Bye
Frederik