[OSM-dev] Default map style on osm.org

Peter K peathal at yahoo.de
Wed Aug 28 19:05:50 UTC 2013

Am 28.08.2013 17:33, schrieb Andy Allan:
> On 28 August 2013 16:26, Holger Jeromin <mailgmane at katur.de> wrote:
>
>> I think the rewrite in carto wanted to maintain the visual result to be
>> sure to be able to switch the main rendering. Otherwise the switch could
>> be stopped by some for visual reasons.
> Good point - that's probably the source of the confusion.

Yeah, that was the source of confusion. Also it is nice to hear that
you're open to change and some people agree with me that osm.org needs
one style for the normal user and one for the mapper.

> The primary goal of the default style is to expose as much of the OSM
data as possible.

I see osm.org as the main reference for "OpenStreetMap". And everytime I
suggest friends to have a look at this great source of information I
hear it is not clear or even ugly. Also they miss a router but that is
another topic ;)

I think (and it would probably be also in the sense of all mappers) that
OSM should gain even more (at)traction. And to do this one simple thing
could be to improve the default style.

> As Frederik mentioned, the default style is a mapper's map. It's there
to provide instant feedback to mapping efforts.

Why? Who decides this? Why not a normal user map as default and the
mapper can choose its own preferred layer?

This decission process is not clear to me here at OSM. Not to bash this
and the community of course! Is there some process how to establish
consent? Could it be probably easier for all to handle it like the
Apache Foundation ... ?

Regards,
Peter.