[OSM-dev] Accessing postgis on the dev server

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Mon Dec 9 11:17:27 UTC 2013

-
>> So I'm wondering whether we could, if enough people raise contributions,
>> have an OSM "read only, hobbyist" server which could be used to host
>> not-for-profit, open source (only) projects. it could be either global
>> or just for the UK (or any other individual country). It could contain a
>> copy of the OSM PostGIS database then developers could be free to host
>> server side code which delivers that data in whatever format fits their
>> own needs (GeoJSON, some binary vector format, or anything else).

>You should keep in mind the dev server (errol), both for running
>whatever you want to and when planning additional resources if you need
>them. You can find information on the dev server at
>http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Using_the_dev_server.

Hello Paul (or anyone else),

I've found I still have an account on the dev server.

However, how do I login to the postgres database?

I've tried the normal means of logging into the DB:

psql -U gis gis

and that doesn't work (failed authentication): do I need a password?

Also, is it ok if I import processed_p.shp coastlines (as SQL) and Ordnance Survey LandForm PANORAMA contours to the DB - or would that overload the server?

Thanks,
Nick