[OSM-dev] Reverts from the woodpeck_repair account

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 13:50:04 GMT 2013

On 2 January 2013 13:31, Paweł Paprota <ppawel at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> For me such reverts just introduce unneeded clutter in the history database
> - thousands of new versions in the history. And the end result will be that
> this revert will then again be slowly reverted by individual mappers
> replacing deprecated tags...

That's only one possibility. There are "deprecated" tags that are more
popular than their "voted on" replacement, that have better support in
editors, are used by more renderings and are still preferred by
mappers. The assumption that deprecated tags will be replaced by other
ones is a false assumption, and hence why we don't automatically
change tags.

Cheers,
Andy