[OSM-dev] CORS on the Wiki

Tom MacWright tom at macwright.org
Tue Jan 8 22:17:18 GMT 2013

Hey all (and especially Grant & Jochen),

So, the iD editor has this nice 'reference pane' which shows tag/value
summaries from TagInfo, if available. TagInfo also provides thumbnails for
these combos in the form File:Foo. Unfortunately that doesn't map to a real
URL (by design). There's an API to get at the contents, like

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/api.php?action=query&prop=imageinfo&titles=Image:Residential.jpg&iiprop=url|content&format=xml

But this doesn't support CORS. It doesn't look like MediaWiki supports CORS
at this point ( https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/9718/ ), so either we're
looking at implementing this on a server-level in Apache, having TagInfo
expose actual image URLs, or implementing it in MediaWiki.

Any other thoughts here? I obviously am unable to mess with server
configuration of wiki.openstreetmap.org, but if, for instance, patching
MediaWiki would do the trick, I can probably do that.

Tom