[OSM-dev] Contributing GWT map widget

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Mon Jul 15 07:53:08 UTC 2013

Hi Alexander.

As you ask for the licensing restrictions: From OSM (as the map
(database) project) you are free to use whatever license you want on
your code.
OSM only restricts you in licensing of the data (not code using that
data) and tiles (rendered by the osm project based on this data).

Probably there is more restrictions for the license dependant on what
you mean with "contribute to OSM", e.g. if you want to add it to a
specific code repository or something like that; but as IMHO currently
git is rising, you may host your code on any repository you like, so it
doesn't matter necessarily what anybody thinks about restrictions on
"official" repostitories.
But of course: the more free your license is, the more people may have
reasons to use the widget.

regards
Peter