[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] Is there some lag in the backend data?

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 03:22:02 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 9:57 PM, Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com> wrote:

> Where it might run into problems is if there is a scenario where a user
> uploads
> changes and then immediately requests the latest version from the API. In
> this
> scenario my service would of transparently proxied the main API for the
> upload
> then answered from its own data to the latest version request. The reply
> for
> the
> upload and the reply to the latest version request would then be
> inconsistent.
>
> On the other hand, I can't see when a client would actually do this.
>
> Is anyone aware of any clients where this scenario can come up, or of other
> scenarios where different API calls having different delays could matter?

This is exactly what iD does and is what put a halt to me working on tiled
OSM data for the time being.

iD clears out its internal representation of OSM data when a user's Save is
successful and then re-requests the area in the viewport immediately. The
replication delay for a read-only API needs to be less than 2 or 3 seconds
in this scenario.