[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] Is there some lag in the backend data?

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Wed Jul 24 09:13:09 UTC 2013

I think the solution is for the client (iD) to parse the server's
response to its changeset upload. The server gives all the information
necessary to avoid the client having to do a data update. If for some
reason the client feels the need to automatically discard it's dataset
it could download new data then apply the diff it has from the changeset.

> P.S. This is why I'm focussed on db-level replication for scaling API
> read requests, but we should work this through and be able to choose
> between alternatives!

DB-level replication is generally faster but it can lag behind too. As
we scale out horizontally clients will have to be prepared for a delay
in the data they receive. We give all the information for it not to be
an issue, they just need to make use of it.