[OSM-dev] mod_tile on windows?

Sven Geggus lists at fuchsschwanzdomain.de
Fri Jun 7 13:39:49 UTC 2013

Vince Berubey <screams_3 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Has any development been done since to be compatible with Windows?

Besides the fact that I do not see a particular good reason for running a
tileserver on windows (mapnik works fine on windows, so style development
can already take place on windows), I seriously doubt, that this will
currently work.

One reason for this is, that mod_tile uses a unix-domain socket to
communicate with the backend (tirex/renderd). So one would need at least
convert this to a tcp/socket.

IMO, there is better work to do for mod_tile. One thing that comes to mind
is the still unimplemented whitelist feature for tile trotteling, which I
would have needed recently.

This said I'm quite certain that Kai would not mind to take patches which
will actaually make it work on windows. It's free software after all.

Regards

Sven

P.S.: In this live I will probably not understand anymore, why people
actually _want_ to use windows. Bad enough, that one is still forced to use
it way to often.

--
"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly"
(Henry Spencer)

/me is giggls at ircnet, http://sven.gegg.us/ on the Web