[OSM-dev] Tile server

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Fri Jun 21 23:31:27 UTC 2013

Amazon EBS is extremely slow. Adding more space won't help. An EBS volume is
about 100 iops, which is about the same as a single 7200 RPM drive. Within
EBS your options for better performance are multiple EBS in RAID
(complicated), provisioned iops EBS (expensive), ephemeral storage
(reasonable speed, but lost on instance termination).

EC2 is designed for intermittent load compute-heavy tasks, and is not well
suited for always on services which require disk speed like tileservers.