[OSM-dev] Tile server

malcolm stanley a.malcolm.stanley at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 21:19:30 UTC 2013

If you look here http://www.rackspace.com/cloud/block-storage/pricing/ you
will see pricing for Rackspace SSD is $0.70 cents per GB per month.
Its hard to compare apples to apples as they include IO in the price.
Having said that, it looks like at that price a 500G volume for a world
database would run about $350 per month.
a comparable Amazon volume would be far less @12.5 cents as opposed to
$0.70, but then you have to pay IO AND you can only use them on larger
instances, so you are going to cost up on that side.

Its almost like you need a case study comparing the offerings based on
specific usage profiles.

for instance, a dev instance on amazon is going to cost less (I **think**)
because you would have low IO and low disk costs.
as you ramp the IO up and start to add performance to AMZ, that would
probably change pretty quickly

malcolm stanley

google.voice:  215.821.6252
Cell: 267.251.9479   <------------- new