[OSM-dev] Fwd: GPX imports from Uber

Eric Fischer enf at pobox.com
Mon Jun 24 18:48:42 UTC 2013

I'm only a user of the GPX logs, not responsible for anything on the server
side, but this is fantastic news, and if you ask me, the more data, and the
more complete, the better it is, even going as far as every vehicle
sampling every second.

The main precedent I know for this is the Stamen/Yellow Cab/Exploratorium
Cabspotting project in San Francisco, which doesn't obscure trip origins
and destinations but does randomize the IDs of the cabs periodically so
that what a cab driver does one day isn't tied to what the same driver does
the next day, and only samples every minute so there is some inherent fuzz
in the origins and destinations.

The Skobbler GPX dump (http://heatmap.skobbler.net/gpx_download.html)
appears to include only partial trips so that the origins and destinations
of the trips aren't tied to each other but most of what happened in between
is still linked.

The main applications I see are improving road alignment, turn
restrictions, routing, speed, traffic volume, and origin-destination
aggregation, so I would appreciate it if your filtering tries not to
preclude any of these. Thanks again for planning to make this data public!

Eric