[OSM-dev] Zeroing or Extending a Hillshade-Tiff

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Thu Mar 7 19:12:28 UTC 2013

On Thursday 07 March 2013, Peter Körner wrote:
> b) extend the image with value 181 at the borders to fit the size of
> the image i'm going to render
>
> My question is:
> what way would you choose and wich tools could be used to go that
> way?

for b:

gdalwarp -dstnodata 181

Note it is usually best to only hillshade the land and not the water so
if you draw the water above the hillshade you won't have this edge
problem (it is of course even better to modify the DEM before shading
to match the coastline but that's quite a bit more complex).

I am currently preparing rendering polar maps myself so if you need
hillshade images for the lower zoom levels i could provide them - for
zoom=2 with 6000km map area (i think that's what you are using as
well):

http://www.imagico.de/files/gshade_2_0_0.tif.bz2

Greetings,

--