[OSM-dev] Coastline changes Antarctica

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Mon Mar 11 17:50:11 UTC 2013

On Monday 11 March 2013, Jochen Topf wrote:

> I have described the details in this blog post:
> http://blog.jochentopf.com/2013-03-11-state-of-the-osm-coastline.html
> Have a look at the chapter about Antarctica. (The other stuff might
> be interesting, too, though.)

Concerning the 180-degree-line - for that a solution that would allow to
process the coastline in a pacific centered coordinate system (or with
any other cutting meridian) would be best.  And the obvious way for
that is to simply draw the coastline ways indiscriminately across the
line.  I think the API and database would have no problem with that but
OSMCoastline would need to be able to close the coastline in arbitrary
configurations at the edges and the editors would need to support it.
I suppose especially the latter means it won't happen but still it
would be the most elegant solution i think.

Note doing the same also for other geometries would be problematic since
on a sphere you have no reliable way to decide about inside and outside
of a (large) polygon without the orientation convention of the
coastlines.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/