[OSM-dev] Getting lat and long from an address

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 15:34:11 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 10:05 AM, drugdu <fjb.pacho at gmail.com> wrote:
> I’m trying develop an desktop application  to get the lat and long base on an
> address, the problem is that I must do this offline, I tried to export the
> map, but I need all my county and the export tab says that I need to choose
> a smaller area, it’s my first time working with maps and I really don’t have
> any idea where I can start to learning about this, I prefer to work on c# or
> iron python or iron ruby, I hope you can help me.

All of the OSM data is available via a giant planet file on
planet.osm.org. This is probably more data than you want to work with
but there are several places that provide extracts on the
country/state/city level. Please read over this page in our wiki:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Planet

Toby