[OSM-dev] mod_tile stable version ?

Bernard Fouché bernard.fouche at kuantic.com
Wed Mar 27 14:48:21 UTC 2013

Le 27/03/2013 15:09, Pieren a écrit :
> On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 2:23 PM, Bernard Fouché
> <bernard.fouche at kuantic.com> wrote:
>> My time was mostly spent because of the lack of stable releases and
>> documentation related to package versions, quirks here and there (for
>> instance when making Tirex there is no check of what perl packages are
>> already available, you discover the list of missing packages when Tirex
>> runs, or how do you know that you'll need to setup a definition for a
>> 'default' map?) , broken SVN trunk of mod_tile, cryptic error messages,
>> configuration magic
> OSM data & tools are mostly developed by volunteers on their free
> time. Feel free to improve the wiki documentation if you find issues
> or incompleteness. Creating an account for wiki edition takes less
> time than writing your last 5 messages. Do something positive for the
> project instead of complaining. Thus, the next one installing a tile
> server on F18 will be grateful for your help.
>
> Pieren
I apologize if the feed back I gave seems to be a complaint, it is not,
I'm very happy to have an alternative to Google Maps and similar systems.

I can update a wiki page, but what wiki page? When googling
"openstreetmap fedora install" there are different pages that show up
and I had to look at all of these. What should I write about obtaining
mod_tile or osm2pgsql? What revisions a user is supposed to get to have
a working system? I can list the revision I have but in a few days, or
even already, it may be better to get a later version: I'm the last to
be able to declare that a particular version is better than another. At
the moment I can write the complete set of things I had to consider to
have a working system, that would give a general view of the set of
problems to handle, but it will be far from a "do this and it will 100%
work" recipe, mostly because of the lack of stable versions for the most
important components of the tool chain and the lack of a set of stable
versions known to work correctly together.

I don't complain, I supplicate stable versions :-)

   Bernard