[OSM-dev] lua+osm2pgsql=?

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Thu May 9 21:02:00 UTC 2013

Hello everyone,

concept patch, expanded it somewhat and I have now committed it into trunk
of osm2pgsql.

As mentioned before, this allows to filter and transform (sets of) tags on
nodes, ways and relations before continuing processing in osm2pgsql.
Hopefully this can be used for a variety of things, like normalising
tagging, or more sophisticated relation processing.

By default it still uses the old tag processing pipeline, but using the
command line switch --tag-transform-script /path/to/tagprocessing_script.lua
should enable the new more flexible pathway. At the moment it only works in
the rendering output, but it shouldn't be too difficult to extend it to the
gazetteer output if needed / wished.

The lua script you pass into osm2pgsql needs to implement 4 functions

function filter_tags_node
function filter_tags_way
function filter_basic_tags_rel
function filter_tags_relation_member

The first three each take a set of tags as a lua key-value table and return
a transformed (or unchanged) set of tags back. They also return a flag to
say if the entity(way/node/relation) should be filtered out and not added to
the database (they will still end up in the slim mode tables, but not in the
rendering tables). The filter_tags_way function furthermore returns a flag
if the way should be treated as a line or as a polygon.

The function filter_tags_relation_member is a bit more complex and allows to
deal with more advanced relation tagging, such as multi-polygons that take
can take their tags from the member ways.

This function therefore takes the set of tags from the relation, as well as
the set of tags and role for each of the member ways (member relations and
nodes get ignored). It then returns a transformed (and combined) set of tags
to be applied to the relation in later processing. It furthermore returns a
couple of additional information. First of all, one can specify for each
member way, if it has already been dealt with, or needs to (potentially)
have its own entry. E.g. outer ways in multi-polygon relations are
superseded by the multi-polygon geometry. Tagged inner ways on the other
hand still need to be processed as separate entries. Secondly, one can
specify if the relation should be processed as a line, a polygon, or both
(e.g. administrative boundaries). Thirdly, one can again specify to discard
the entity from further processing.

There is a sample tag transform lua script in the repository as an example,
which (nearly) replicates current processing and can hopefully be used as a
template for ones own scripts.

Performance wise, the lua tag transform is slower than the C based one,
however, it is probably not as bad as I feared. I haven't done an extensive
performance analysis yet though and it will likely heavily depend on the
complexity of the tag transform script.

Everything should hopefully work, but as with any new feature and
particularly as I don't have a immediate use case for it myself, there is a
non negligible chance that there are bugs in the committed code, so treat it
with caution to begin with. As to support this a fair amount of refactoring
was necessary, there is also a possibility that the default c-based tag
transform got new bugs as well. I don't have the resources to test it on a
full planet import, but on all of my test extracts, the non lua code
produced the same database as before the commit. So hopefully things are OK.

For production systems, you should stick with the tagged 0.82.0 version of
osm2pgsql. But I would very much appreciate any feedback on the new lua
tag-transform possibilities.

Kai

Kai Krueger wrote