[OSM-dev] New database server

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Tue May 21 15:07:00 UTC 2013

I normally stay out of the tech bike-shedding discussions, however I do
want to point out

- we are aeons away from requiring and running cutting/bleeding edge
hardware (and having to pay for such)

- in the grand scheme of things we are not spending a lot of money on
hardware (on the one hand our sys admins and the OWG are very frugal and
on the other see the first point)

- the amount of money we spend is a lot of money for the foundation, at
least relative to our other spending, however it is extremely unlikely
that we could away with spending less regardless of implementation
(distributed, 3rd party cloud etc etc etc).

- our current setup is fairly straightforward, fancier schemes are very
likely to be more error prone with the associated costs (manpower)

All this said, I would recommend that anybody who actually wants to help
should participate in the OWG and help with the other tech tasks that we
have in abundance.

Simon