[OSM-dev] Label font scaling

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Fri May 31 15:12:44 UTC 2013

I'm running my own Tile Server (mod_tile/renderd created from packages
as described at
http://switch2osm.org/serving-tiles/building-a-tile-server-from-packages/ and
would like to serve up a new set of tiles with larger font sizes for
higher resolution displays.

I read
https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/8467/font-size-and-adding-scale-to-map
which describes the textsymbolizer element in osm.xml, to whit:

> <https://help.openstreetmap.org/vote/8472/up/>
> 3
> <https://help.openstreetmap.org/vote/8472/down/>
>

> The font size comes from the style file /osm.xml/. This includes
> several lines on the form "/|<textsymbolizer name="name"
> fontset_name="bold-fonts" size="11"/>|/". You can edit the /size/
> parameter in the wanted areas to generate a new style with other font
> sizes.

But there's a TON of textsymbolizer's that would need to be edited.
Cloudmade's tile servers support an embedded doubler in their tile URL
as described at http://developers.cloudmade.com/projects/tiles/documents

> To get double resolution tiles use *@2x* suffix: 997 at 2x - this will
> improve map look for iPhone 4, Motorola Milestone, etc.

Does anyone know how they do that?  Is there a way to replace the
textsymbolizer element size attributes with a variable (say Size11,
Size8, SizeN) so that I can simply clone the style and edit all of the
sizes in a single place?  Then I could do a 1.5, 2, 4, or whatever by
simply editing the sizes where the variables are declared instead of
every single textsymbolizer element.

Any/all help would be appreciated to accomplish label font scaling in
the rendering chain with minimal manual editing work for each scale that
I support.