[OSM-dev] Restarting renderd, mapnik shared object not found.

Sajjad Anwar sajjadkm at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 08:01:18 UTC 2013

Hello everyone,

I'm following the guide here
http://switch2osm.org/serving-tiles/building-a-tile-server-from-packages/
to setup a tile server.

However, when I restart renderd towards the end of the setup (sudo
/etc/init.d/renderd restart), it fails by saying:

/usr/bin/renderd: error while loading shared libraries:
libmapnik.so.2.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

I ran a quick search and came across the troubleshoot page here
https://github.com/mapnik/mapnik/wiki/InstallationTroubleshooting#linking-errors,
but that didn't help much.

Interestingly, when I look at my /usr/lib, I see -
libmapnik2.so.2.0, libmapnik.so.2.2.0, libmapnik2.so.2.0.0,
libmapnik.so.2.2 among others and not libmapnik.so.2.1

Does this mean I've got the wrong version? How do I solve this?
Thank you so much.

Sajjad.