[OSM-dev] Upcoming website features

Jonathan bigfatfrog67 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 10:15:33 UTC 2013

+1 on thinning the top toolbar. Remember everything we do is all about
the map, map real estate should always have priority.

+1 on remembering the state of the welcome message, although if that
welcome message is  going to change periodically with announcements then
it should become visible again on each new message.

When viewing history, search results or export can we have a close (x)
button in the same place as on the welcome message to remove the
sidebar?  It's not intuitive that you have to go back to the "View"
button above.

If those buttons on the toolbar simply change what's in the sidebar,
which seems to be the case, then they should really have been designed
as tabs or something on top of the sidebar.

Really, that whole sidebar should have a tab/slider on it to slide it in
and out as needed, so if you do need to remove the search results to see
more of the map then to get them back you don't have to perform the
search again.

The Help page is OK, a bit bland, but provides a much better starting
point for help than before.

The About page is excellent, especially the pictures telling real life
stories.  The button on the bottom right is weird, I had no idea what it
would do until I clicked it, thought it might take me back to the map.
As it's a scroll button for the background, the standard across many
sites for this would be a simple left and right arrow on the left and
right side of the screen, if that's too much work just make this
existing button a simple right arrow not the reverse arrow as it is now.

Overall, it is a big improvement on the existing pages. Thanks for
everybody's hard work on this. It is important that we present a clean
attractive front end to the World to keep people's interest when they
arrive or return to the site's home page.

Jonathan

http://bigfatfrog67.me