[OSM-dev] Matching live bus position to route?

Grant Slater openstreetmap at firefishy.com
Tue Oct 22 14:13:50 UTC 2013

Hi OSM-Dev,

Dev challenge...

I have a near live feed of bus positions for around 130 buses and
(soon) all the passenger bus routes. Routes are relations in OSM.

Does anyone have experience or firm suggestions on how best to match a
live feed of bus positions to a set route?

Feed Data:
 * BusID (no direct match to route)
 * Timestamp
 * Position
 * Travel Direction (Degrees)

I also have 2 weeks worth of historical data.

Typically:
* Bus A will drive from depot to start of route 1 and loop on route 1
all day... maybe route 4 tomorrow.
* Bus B as above but does route 2 and then route 3...
* Bus C will be deployed on any route as required.

All routes may share a few short segments.

Kind regards
 Grant