[OSM-dev] Name suggestions for iD

Aaron Lidman aaronlidman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 19:43:55 UTC 2013

Hello everyone,

I've been working on a project to improve naming features in iD by auto
completing common names when a user is typing them in. The goal is to
suggest the most correct canonical version of a name for a certain type
of feature rather than having the many various version of 'McDonalds',
'McDonald's', 'MacDonalds' that we currently have. This is not about
editing existing OSM data but instead aiding the user in entering what
they mean in the most correct way that is already being used in OSM.

Some previous discussion on this topic:
https://github.com/systemed/iD/issues/1752
https://github.com/systemed/iD/pull/1911

The project is here: https://github.com/osmlab/name-suggestion-index

We want to get some community involvement in helping to determine what
are the most correct names by going through the list of top names
currently in OSM (topNames.json) and the any names that might be less
correct derivations of that name that should not be used. See the README
for more details and examples. Eventually iD will use this repo as a
source for name suggestions, just like the
[editory-imagery-index](https://github.com/osmlab/editor-imagery-index)
is used for available imagery.

Any thoughts and especially contributions appreciated.