[OSM-dev] Nominatim geocoding for Japanese address

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at latuviitta.fi
Thu Apr 10 06:09:21 UTC 2014

Sarah Hoffmann wrote 2014-04-10 01:55:

> I'm looking at this from another continent, so I might be wrong,
> but the problems with geocoding in the US look mostly like a data
> problem as well. Boundary data in particular is really bad in the US.
> The good news is that the US community has worked hard on improving
> the data in the last year and I'm quite confident that these things
> will get sorted out soon. There are also some particularities with
> US addressing where the tagging still needs to be defined better (i.e.
> postal towns) but apart from that I don't think Nominatim would do
> that badly.
>
> There is also now the address repository that Ian Deeds announced a
> few days ago. This data could be mixed into Nominatim as external
> data quite easily and further improve the rather patchy house number
> data.

I have tried to help a user with an address related task on OSM forum
http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=24757.

I found it quite hard to work with the admin boundary relations of OSM
so I finally took the municipality borders as old fashion GIS polygons
from the National Land Survey of Finland and after that sorting the
unique streetnames by municipalities was very simple to do with a
spatial SQL query.

As you work with Nominatim, don't you ever feel that there should be a
separate OSM repository for administrative polygons?

-Jukka Rahkonen-