[OSM-dev] Nominatim geocoding for Japanese address

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 16:36:19 UTC 2014

> > Taginfo reports that there are more addr:block_number than
> addr:blocknumber
> > but that might be unrelated.
>
> "addr:blocknumber" is used in Japan, and
> "addr:block_number" is used in Philippine.
> (only here http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/32h)
>
> IMHO...
> "addr:block_number"(PH) is not documented & discussed & used in 2 month.
> Hence, "addr:blocknumber"(JP) is a few used but be discussed a bit well.
> (from my view...)
>
> It may, perhaps be possible to change "addr:blocknumber"(JP) to
> "addr:block_number"(PH) by telling Japanese mappers.
> Your thought?

yes, I'd suggest that you discuss this and if you can reach consensus,
change the docu to addr:block_number (if the usage is the same, you should
ask the Philippine comunity about this). There are only ~200
addr:blocknumber but ~5000 addr:block_number currently in the database.
Also blocknumber does not seem to be English, but block number seems to be
(according to a google search).

If the usage / definition is not the same, you should still change the tag,
because if 2 tags are so similar, it will create a lot of confusion.

cheers,
Martin