[OSM-dev] replication database advice

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 22 12:34:16 UTC 2014

Hi

I'm helping someone out. We're looking to set up a geographically filtered replication from minutely or hourly planet diffs. The replicated, local read-only db will be used to field large area map API queries locally, and make extracts. Intention is to contribute changes back to OSM, so all relevant information needs to be maintained.

Is there a guide or best practice to setting something like this up?

Looking at the osmosis documentation, and seems like a pipeline of --merge-replication-files  --bounding-box and --write-apidb-change tasks would do it. But wonder if this is the most efficient way. Note, only need the current state of features, not history, but don't see an option for that in osmosis (only populateCurrentTables flag, nothing to turn off history).

Also, on the local API side, don't really want to keep the whole rails app running. What are some of the alternative API servers out there?

Thanks
Mikel

* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron