[OSM-dev] mod_tile not respecting config value

Stephan Knauss osm at stephans-server.de
Sat Aug 23 13:08:33 UTC 2014

Hello,

I have a rendering stack with mod_tile/tirex which works quite fine.
Now I discovered that tiles which do not exist at all and take longer to
render will return a 404 after 3 seconds.

This is surprising to me as I have in apache's mod_tile.conf the
following settings:

# Timeout before giving up for a tile to be rendered
     ModTileRequestTimeout 3

# Timeout before giving up for a tile to be rendered that is otherwise
missing
     ModTileMissingRequestTimeout 30

With these setting I would have expected that the timeout is 30 seconds
for tiles which do not exist at all and be only 3 seconds for requests
where some older (outdated) tile exists.

I enabled a higher verbosity level and got this in apache logs
(shortened to the relevant info):

Requesting style(s2) z(7) x(39) y(73) from renderer with priority 5
request_tile: Request xml(s2) z(7) x(39) y(73) could not be rendered in
3 seconds
tile_storage_hook: Missing tile was not rendered in time. Returning File
Not Found

So why is mod_tile using a timeout of 3 seconds and not 30 seconds?

More confusing: After I inserted the mentioned two lines into my
VirtualHost config section which handles the rendering mod_tile is
working as expected.

Does this indicate that the way global settings are handled by mod_tile
is broken? Might it indicate that my other settings are not effective as
well?

Should I open a bug report for it? At GitHub?

Stephan