[OSM-dev] Release openstreetmap-carto v2.25.0

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Fri Dec 12 14:51:13 UTC 2014

On 12/11/2014 2:59 PM, Matthijs Melissen wrote:
> Finally, I also agree that we do need a testing server with worldwide
> data.

I actually don't see this as an issue. I run a server where I preview
changes. A test server implies tracking the latest developments, i.e.
git master, but what is needed is previews of branches, similar to
http://apis.dev.openstreetmap.org/.

Although I find the preview server useful, I shouldn't overstate its
value. Most changes can be adequately reviewed with appropriate
screenshots or rendered images, and we need to encourage more PRs to
include these.

> Testing worldwide is impossible on a consumer grade pc, so we
> cannot expect contributors to arrange this themselves. Especially for
> the low zoom levels, being able to test worldwide is important.
This is partly true, but partly a myth. The system I use for testing has
8GB of RAM, and loading up a couple GB of OSM data is no problem. I
could probably load all of the US fairly quickly.