[OSM-dev] Renderer issue: highway=service and service=driveway?

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Wed Jan 8 13:01:31 UTC 2014

Hi Pieren,
If that's the case, then the european centric stuff should go to an
extra page, but what you referred to with the africa page [1] IMHO
perfectly fits into a global definition. Probably for some countries the
last short paragraph may be not that relevant, but that doesn't turn it
to be wrong.

That page looks like a good entrypoint to the highway classification
itself. In contrast, [2] is not only european centric, but
British-Centric, often referring to the UK road classification system,
but not providing a common sense for worldwide use.

What's missing isn't a page for African highways in particular, but for
the international meaning of the highway tag, independent of the UK road
classification system (like in [2]) or the German one (like in [3]).

As especially English as a language is used in many countries of the
world, it's dangerous, that there is still no way to differentiate
between "English", "American" and "international, written in English" or
something like that.

In fact we should have wiki pages for languages and countries distinct
from each other; something like

highway:DE (highway-tag and it's usage in Germany, e.g. mapping to
traffic signs, specific samples etc.)
highway:de (the Highway-Tag as used internationally, but written in German)
highway:DE:de (the highway-tag as used in Germany, written in German)
highway:UK:en (the highway-tag as used in the UK, written in English)
highway:UK:de (the highway-tag as used in the UK, written in German)

But at least I think we should have something like
Key:highway => international (!) variant
en:Key:highway => English variant (which may vary from the international
variant as well as the German variant may vary - if possible it
shouldn't in the definition, but there may be country/language specific
details for English-speaking countries.

regards
Peter

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway_Tag_Africa