[OSM-dev] ogr2osm coordinate precision

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Tue Jul 1 06:25:44 UTC 2014

On 07/01/2014 08:04 AM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 07/01/2014 12:19 AM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
>> Using Replace Geometry preserves the history of the objects, enables
>> easy tag merging, and restores borders to their official geometry.
>
> If you are saying that you regularly kill any modifications made by
> mappers and replace the OSM geometry with some official shape file
> without even investigating who changed what and why, then you are
> clearly acting against OSM best practice and you should stop!
>
> OSM is not intended to be a "mirror" of some official data set. You may
> edit OSM's data with the aid of third party data - but not blindly and
> without looking at what you are doing.

If we want addresses to use the correct city, the settlement boundaries
should match the official dataset.

I'm almost insulted by your insinuation that changes are not checked,
but I consider it just your communication style.

> How do you make sure that you are not overwriting a change that someone
> has made on purpose because there was a mistake in the "official" geometry?

Using the history of the objects in question.

All changes made to administrative boundaries in The Netherlands over
the past two years by users other than myself were either mistakes
(connecting non-boundary ways to boundaries and moving the connected
node, or deleting whole boundary ways by mistake or combining ways) or
additions of suburb boundaries (our infamous admin_level 11).

> Bye
> Frederik

Kind Regards,

Bas