[OSM-dev] osm2shp

Samat samat78 at gmail.com
Fri May 2 18:39:11 UTC 2014

Dear All,

First of all, I would like to tell you, that I am not a programmer, but I
would like to convert an osm xml to shapefile.

This osm xml contains the database of a whole country (Hungary), now it is
around 1,2 GB (downloaded from Geofabrik).
I would need the *same content* in ESRI shapefile format, including points
(nodes in osm), polylines (relations in osm) and (multi)polygons/areas
(closed ways in osm).

I tried to use tools listed here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Shapefiles#Create_your_own_shapefiles
but until now I didn't find any tool which works and has the features for
converting the whole content of a quite large area.

I am not sure about Osmium: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmium
Is it a ready to use tool for converting osm to shapefile or only a
developer environment to write codes for that?

Could you please help me out which tool fulfill my needs?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Samat