[OSM-dev] Sending messages to users

Alex Barth alex at mapbox.com
Thu May 8 22:29:01 UTC 2014

A messaging API that uses an OAuth based flow would be a great thing to
have and it would be hard to abuse for spamming. Messages could only be
sent from applications users have explicitly opted in to and only to users
who have allowed this application to send them messages (opt-in or opt-out
for messaging preferences TBD).

I think the map roulette use case is a great illustration of how such a
messaging API would facilitate better tools in the OSM orbit. Messaging is
a huge part of building good web tools.