[OSM-dev] Helping students contribute; eyes in #osm-dev tomorrow may be helpful

Britta Gustafson brittag at gmail.com
Sat May 10 05:58:52 UTC 2014

Hi! It'd be wonderful if a few people had an eye open for activity in
#osm-dev tomorrow (Saturday) sometime between 3 pm and 6 pm Pacific, since
I may be successful in convincing some college students to try contributing
to OpenStreetMap projects, and they may have questions to ask existing
developers. I'm thinking IRC can be convenient for that, but if the channel
is idle, I can also help them make mailing list posts and so on.

The context is that I'm a volunteer with a free software outreach program
called Open Source Comes to Campus (http://campus.openhatch.org/), helping
with a workshop tomorrow at UC Davis (http://davis.openhatch.org/). From
about 3 pm to 6 pm, students will work on making their first contributions
to open source projects, and I plan to explain OpenStreetMap as one option
they may enjoy working on.

In case this is interesting, I've made some notes for the students about
tasks that look newcomer-friendly, based on a very helpful conversation in
#osm-dev today: https://openhatch.org/wiki/First_Tasks#OpenStreetMap

(I looked at the "To Do" links on
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Developwhile writing this list, but
I found that the "Top Ten Tasks" [
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Top_Ten_Tasks] and "Things To Do" [
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Things_To_Do] pages both looked like
well-intentioned efforts that hadn't been significantly updated in a while.)

Thanks!

Britta