[OSM-dev] OSM software repositories -- git and svn

Paul Hartmann phaaurlt at gmail.com
Fri May 23 17:31:56 UTC 2014

Hi,

I just like to point out, that there is already a dedicated github account:

https://github.com/openstreetmap

It hosts for example iD, osm2pgsql, mod_tile and lots of mirrors.

Technically, "openstreetmap" is a github Organization. This means, not a
single person owns the account, but a group of so called Owners
(including tomhughes and Firefishy). Also you have very convenient
interface to assign write and admin access to the members, for
individual repositories and globally.

See also:
<https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-mirror/blob/master/ABOUT.md>

On 23.05.2014 15:19, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Myself, I've written countless little scripts and snippets that are
> shared in SVN. Sometimes people have indeed made their own changes to
> them; sometimes my scripts simply live alongside 5 other scripts that
> are thematically related (e.g. a collection of utilities that all deal
> with .poly files in one way or the other).
> [...]
> I know that there are people who create a github repository for
> everything, even if it's just a 30-line text file to maintain. Doing
> that for all the conceptually different things that we now have in our
> SVN would probably yield something between 200 and 500 "repositories"

I would guess that it is more typical that people think in terms of
named projects. So in most cases, a separate repository would be
appropriate.

> Or would we create hundreds of mini repos and then have a
> separate index for them, e.g. a wiki page or a 101st repo?

That might be the best option.

Paul