[OSM-dev] Switch2osm guides - TileMill?

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Mon Oct 6 04:11:28 UTC 2014

I have a mostly completed guide for switch2osm on setting up TileMill
with OpenStreetMap data - a common task done as a follow-up to loading data.

https://hackpad.com/TileMill-I6rxRVszKMv

However, I am wondering if it would be better to switch to Kosmtik[1].
Development on TileMill has stopped with only minor changes to match
Mapnik version and packaging changes.

Kosmtik has been written by ybon and appears to contain all the
functionality of TileMill that was usable with complex stylesheets. It
also has osm-specific plugins which look useful. The install procedure
looks to be no harder than TileMill.

It also supports YAML MML files out of the box, which is a plus for
OpenStreetMap Carto.

I'd welcome thoughts, as well as suggestions of other alternatives.