[OSM-dev] Looking for OSM Licensing Clarification

Joel ... audiofile at outlook.com
Sun Oct 19 22:46:55 UTC 2014

I think I miss-read what was meant on the OSM front page. It reads "We started it because most maps you think of as free actually have legal or technical restrictions on their use, holding back people from using them in creative, productive, or unexpected ways."
The closest use case I'm wanting OSM for is along the lines of routing and turn-by-turn application.
Does the license OSM is using permit people to:
1) download OSM data into a local database2) combine (locally, not uploaded to OSM) additional free data-sets having compatible licenses3) Leverage proprietary "for a fee" use data that is not saved, but with compatible licenses4) Develop a new proprietary algorithms that utilizes said data5) Develop a new proprietary user interface for said data and algorithms with OSM branding/crediting displayed on said interface6) Earn money from the user interface7) Keep the finished product that also contains OSM private.
I'm looking to avoid giving some other potential business person or company a copy of what I created. The more I read the OSM license, the more confused I became after possibly miss-understanding the heading of the front page of openstreetmap.com.
How do you determine if my use case is accepted according to the license OSM is using?
In http://opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/1.0/ Chapter 4 the license discusses Derivate Database. It makes a reference to "Publicly Convey this Database". Convey in the dictionary reads "transport or carry to a place". Does Chapter 4 mean my use case is approved of for that particular chapter since I am using the data in an app apposed to exposing the database as an offering in its entirety?