[OSM-dev] world wide PBF exports corrupt

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Sun Oct 19 23:55:36 UTC 2014

On 10/19/2014 3:04 PM, Peter K wrote:
> it looks like all pbf export servers I know have no recent or corrupt
> pbf exports (small file size of 17gb or 6gb instead of 27gb):
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Planet.osm
>
> Is this a known issue of some export tool? Or do you know an alternative?
http://planet.openstreetmap.org/pbf/planet-141015.osm.pbf is 26GB, which
looks normal to me.

The mirrors are that - mirrors, not export servers.

Before using the planet file, you can run Osmupdate[1] on it, which
takes under an hour on most hardware and will give you an up to the hour
version of the OpenStreetMap database.
> (Also it looks like there are no daily export servers anymore?)
We've never had planet exports generated daily. If you need a complete
planet file every day, the standard means is to download one and then
update it every day, which uses far less bandwidth than downloading a
new one. This is what is done for taginfo, and what external services
like OSRM do.

[1]: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmupdate