[OSM-dev] Share a route, in addition to Share a location on the main OSM map

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Mon Apr 13 10:31:38 UTC 2015

Hi,

On the main OSM page it is possible to generate a short link for a
location. For example, it is the link to the location of the city of
Yakutsk in Siberia: http://osm.org/go/8_Anzx-?m=

Why not to introduce the similar service for a route? I've created a
working model on my testing website. For instance, it is the link to the
route from Yakutst to the city of Irkutsk:
openbizmap.org/measure/?l=552b9a08f1b20
<http://openbizmap.org/measure/?l=552b9a08f1b20>

To view the direction of the route and leg distances, the button
/Distance Ruler Edit/ (under Zoom) in the left upper corner should be
activated (clicked once).

It could be used to show a route say from a bust stop to a hotel, or how
to drive optimally from one location to another, etc. Perhaps, such a
service exists at the OSM, but I just could not notice it. Anyway, I saw
other people, while sending directions, make a screen-shot of the OSM
map, and then draw a route line on the JPG screen-shot in a graphical
editor.

Best regards,
Oleksiy