[OSM-dev] Accessing history of OSM objects

joost schouppe joost.schouppe at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 09:09:10 UTC 2015

Hi Aycan,

I wrote a few diary entries on this subject. In the first one of the
series, you'll find the link to a tutorial on how to do this. It really
takes you through every single step, and results in a clean Postgres
database and cool animated maps of the evolution of your area of interest.
It's a good idea to start small, as you said.

I didn't know the first thing about SQL, Python, OSM history data, Linux,
command line work, etc. when I started this. I'd be happy to help out where
I can.

I do most of my post-processing in SPSS. If that's of use to you, I can
share those scripts too. They might kind of work in PSPP too. Maybe.

Here's the link:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/joost%20schouppe/diary/21826

Later entries:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/joost%20schouppe/diary/26259
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/joost%20schouppe/diary/34374
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/joost%20schouppe/diary/35530 (includes
how to make shapefiles from your database)
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/joost%20schouppe/diary/37481

Joost @
Openstreetmap <http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/joost%20schouppe/> |
Twitter <https://twitter.com/joostjakob> | LinkedIn